Neil's EDCI 337 (Pod 5)

Blog 3: ScreenCasting

Multimedia is the “combination of words and pictures that support learning” (Pastore, 2018) Screencasting are forms of content that involve recording a computer screen and adding narration on top to engage a certain audience (Simon, 2021). It is a wonderful way to express opinions about certain topics, spread knowledge, and share experiences about things for a variety of audiences. In education, this could vary from small lessons from grade school teachers, recording of lectures from professors at Universities, to the commercialization education on sites such as Masterclass, and Skillshare. Screencasting allows for individuals to learn on their own pace using paid (skillshare) or non paid websites (Youtube) at their leisure outside of work or school time. This means individuals can develop new skills, refine their current skillsets, or just research new things outside of traditional places such as Universities, textbooks, and workshops. Screencasting may also be used to develop teaching, presenting, and information sharing skills on a digital platform. At the University of Victoria, I have had professors share whole lectures with zoom videos of their content/powerpoints, to other instructors releasing their lectures in just audio format so we can download it and listen to it in nature. Screencasting is just one more way for students to keep learning in a digital platform. Here is my screencasting video tutorial on how to generate a battery health report on a Windows 10 Laptop. I hope you enjoy!

Pastore, R. (2018, August 16). What is Multimedia Learning? What is Multimedia? YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-sknUVq1mk.

Simon, J. (2021, May 26). The Ultimate Guide: What is Screencasting and Why Use it?: TechSmith. Welcome to the TechSmith Blog. https://www.techsmith.com/blog/what-is-screencasting/.

1. alzhu

Hi Neil, thanks for sharing your ScreenCast of the battery report! I personally am a little scatterbrained when diagnosing and treating my laptop (and other electronic devices), so this was quite helpful. I liked how you went over the benefits and possible actions one could take to ensure laptops stay powered. I agree that many of the screencasts available to us are on YouTube and I must say that I view quite a few each week. Screencasts and other multi-media are important to teaching us new skills or ways of approaching tasks.

Cheers,
    Allen

2. lukejr

I did enjoy your screencast and will have to check my own report. I too have been plugged in for the most part due to the pandemic too. Maybe soon!